(image credit Stumptuous.com)
7 months ago while I was watching random Youtube videos, documentation of skinny guys trying to get big often came up on the “suggested” list. I watched the slideshow of one little guy talking about how he was so committed to training and dieting, with him flexing and smiling very proudly. At the end it said “3 months. 5 lbs gained” at the bottom of the VDO.
I bursted out laughing because I can gain 5 lbs in a week. You know, the week between December 25th and January 1st. I’m pretty sure I’m not the only one who has gotten 5 – 10 lbs as a holiday gift. I’ve decided not to include that Youtube VDO link in this blog to save his feelings. At least he DID look better, after all. And I would agree gaining muscles is hard. I would probably grow less muscle if I do exactly what he does.
The next morning I went into the gym like my typical plain Jane self and hit the heaviest weights I could. With correct form, of course. I learned about form from watching men’s bodybuilding stuff and my personal trainers (ones that I liked or not). It made a whole lotta difference. I don’t have the testosterone level to care who was watching so I don’t select the weights based on who was watching. I mean, if you wear what I wear in the gym, they will look anyway no matter how much weight was in my hands.
Day after day I left the gym sweating like a wet puppy and feeling completely worn out. If you know me, I push myself without a shadow of a doubt. In a way, it felt empowering to be strong. … Why am I the one doing shoulder presses with the 30 lb weight and that 200 lb guy on another bench with the 15 lb weight?
A few months flew by and I saw 4% body fat melting off my body, though I probably had only about 70 – 80% compliance with the Precision Nutrition diet. The clothing that I bought over the winter holidays became too big. My female friends, colleagues and acquaintances started asking me what I did to get so thin.
I don’t need to get any smaller, but I liked getting stronger. Who likes to be weak, anyway? And my biggest motivator of all times? The people who complimented on my physique and asked me how I got there. That signifies something very meaningful to me. Girl do I have the power to change how women exercise and help all of us get stronger. Off I went and got my personal training certification. Even now, it’s still the reason why I pump the heaviest irons I could.
At this point I was getting hit on like I was on fire (so I stopped caring). I decided to do an experiment because I’m a scientist. As soon as I could smell the guy was hitting on me, I said “Hi I’m Natcha, I’m a bodybuilder.” It never fails (LOL). If the guys were giving me free stuff or doing me random favors, they continued (which I like !). None of them ever took off because of that sentence. 99.9% of the time the response is like “Awesome. It’s so hard to find girls who like to do physical stuff.” The other 0.1% changed the topic. Bodybuilding is NOT a dirty word and it’s certainly attractive.
Synonyms: I am a bodybuilder =
I am confident and I don’t give a damn.
I don’t follow what the other girls do.
I am different without trying.
I am strong so if you don’t match up, don’t you dare mess with me.
I am in control and I know what I’m doing with my life.
I take excellent care of myself.
I DON’T make excuses. I DO.
I AM disciplined.